Friday, December 16, 2005
KMS TUTORIAL
ATTENTION!!!!
Welcome back to the original author's page.. =)
I'm Justina Tan here... Blogging for KMS tutorial for Miss Jamie Teo..
Bringing an all new experience of the e-learning system in Ngee Ann Polytechnic is me, your host for this entry, Justina
1. My personal view of the effectiveness of using MEL as a tool for learning the KMS module.
As it boils down to what I've asked during class this afternoon...
I will first divide the answer to 2.
In the aspect of conducting lectures and in the aspect of conducting tutorials...
Let me start with the aspect of conducting lectures...
CONDUCTING LECTURES...
Using a virtual chat is defintely an efficient way to conduct lectures whereby students listen in the lectures online with the lecturer facing the webcam. There are many questions in the teachers' heart whether students will actually come in to listen in or not.. A little bit out of topic here, Singapore students have been spoon fed since young thus they should be taught how to be independent. Quoted from my system security tutor.. Students who have the attitude to study will eventually study.. on the other hand, it's on the student's side to be responsible for their own studying and their life. Thus, i feel virtual chat actually brings about creativity and new susbstance in teaching as e-learning in ngee ann calls it MOBILE E-LEARNING.. When mobile, it's flexibility.. Thus, most of the students would appreciate attending lectures online! =)
CONDUCTING TUTORIALS....
Using discusison forums, downloads of lecture/tutorial materials, games, quizzes, handing up of assignment is making tutorial more effective in some way or another.
I shall touch on the topic discussion forums...
As for me, discussion forums are useful and learning takes place most for me in the forum.Why? When I'm in doubt, I post a question, I'm sure someone will give me some feedback or another. Nobody's wrong or right.. Just their views and replies. Thus when I gather more information,I can get to see which one is more relevant and thus narrowing down my search on the Internet. Good discussion forum...
Download of lecture/tutorial materials
It has all the while been a good semester for downloading lecture and tutorial materials. The materials are 24hrs always for us. And once again, some teachers may have questions in their hearts to why they should put the materials 24hours online when some students just last minute print it out.. Ok, on my stand, like what I've said earlier on, it's up to the student's responsibility to study. When they print the notes, it shows that they are concerned about their studies. AT LEAST. Thus, its still a good sign for everyone.. Agree?
GAMES
From the IB Game experience, it is not realistic. We cannot please both worlds.. Players and authors of the game. Thus, boils down to the attitude of everyone.. Games should be made as realistic as possible so as students would be more motivated to play along.. Games are introduced to increase a little spice in the e-learning system. My stand, games that are enriching, realistic, motivates us to play.
HANDING UP OF ASSIGNMENTS
Mel has a very good tracking system that it can track when the students hand up the work, turn it in to see which part of the assignments has the student copied... Thus, good! =) Very neat and tidy, orderly and effective.
2. One learning point that I have took away from the e-learning activities I have participated in.
Discussion forums.
Everybody has their own views on everything.It's good to listen to everyone and see how their reply to it. We can also weigh which replies are closer to the question thus it's informative and good...
END OF KMS TUTORIAL BLOGGING....
I'm a woman of word. I will do it once I say. =) Smile and cheers!